Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What Do You See?

Creativity, curiosity, playfulness, imagination, wonder, wisdom, inventiveness, vitality, flexibility, sensitivity, humor and joy. These are the qualities of genius according to Runel Soria, and I'm inclined to believe him. I've decided that part of my "baby step" program is going to be choosing one of these qualities to focus a lesson on each day until my maternity leave. (What a coincidence that I only have 12 days left!)

We started today with creativity. I gave each student a piece of blue construction paper and the instructions to create something out of that piece of paper. They could do anything at all that they wanted to with this piece of paper. One student said "So I can just crumple it up if I want to?" Immediately I responded with "Well, that doesn't seem very creative..." (For shame, Mrs. Sigler.) A classmate quickly jumped to his defense, saying "Yes it is! He'd be making a new ball out of a piece of paper!" Touche, geniuses! :)

Now tell me what you see:

Paper airplanes built for the sole purpose of terrifying teachers?


Or future fighter pilots and engineers, ready to defend our country?

An interesting house with Christmas lights?


Or maybe a detail-oriented architect or carpenter?

A (super-awesome) whale with fabulous makeup?


Or a future marine biologist with amazing artistic ability?

A handprint turkey?


 Or future teacher? :)


A set of stars?


 Or maybe the scientist who will discover a new planet?



A heart?


 How about a nurse or caregiver?



A child with an army tank who plays waaaay too many video games?


Or the next soldier willing to risk his life for yours?

A princess crown?


Or the hat of a future leader?

Random bits of paper?


Or a multi-tasking jewelry designer?

An intricate race car?


Or the creator of our first truly eco-friendly vehicles (with style!)?

The funny thing is, a few weeks ago I would have chosen the first description for each of these masterpieces. I would have said something along the lines of "Oh, how cute!" or "What a nice house!" or "FOR PETE'S SAKE! WE DON'T BUILD PAPER AIRPLANES IN CLASS!"

And we most certainly are NOT going to build more and test them out tomorrow to see whose goes furthest and hypothesize about why. Because curiosity kills cats. It definitely doesn't nurture geniuses. Right? :)

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! I love this and can't wait to see what you're going to do! I'm working on bringing back that kindergarten phase to freshmen and sophomores- this could be interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Awesome" you children are true Genius i look forward to keeping up with the blog. Your creativity is endless. Good job, Ella!! *Gma*

    ReplyDelete